Omerful of Manna

"This is what the LORD has commanded, 'Let an omerful of it be kept throughout your generations, that they may see the bread that I fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you out of the land of Egypt.'"

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Portstewart: God's Waiting Room

Perhaps it is the beauty of the Irish Sea or the friendliness of the small town, but for whatever reason, Portstewart is known as God's Waiting Room. Pastor Terry Laverty, of the Presbyterian church there told us that in his six years there he has done around 180 funerals!! With older people as such a part of the identity of the town, it only makes sense to share of our performance in the rest home there.

I think it was called the Montague House. There was a view of the sea from the upper floor and many windows. Strangely enought, very few of the residents were looking outside. In very little time I discovered a woman that was crying as she sat on the edge of the room. In the time before and after our performances I sat with her and held her hand. I was told that her sadness was a part of her illness. Still, her sadness was hard to explain away. I asked her if she knew Jesus. No response. I asked if I could pray for her. No response...just more crying. After some hesitation, I found myself praying just the same. I don't remember what I prayed for now, but I do remember one thing very specifically. She said "Thank You," the only distinguishable words she spoke.

As we went back to the church hall, about three blocks away, I spent some time thinking. A friend of mine felt uncomfortable around the older people and didn't like the idea of death or being out of control of himself. I don't blame him, however, I wonder if the "modern" way of dealing with death is a poor method. We send our family away for others to deal with. We also send away a reminder of why we should prioritize and live life to the fullest. I also was left thinking about the fact that simply being with these people meant more than being able to communicate with them. The sad woman and other woman I spent time with there probably really appreciated the fact that I simply spoke to them, touched them, sat with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home