Omerful of Manna

"This is what the LORD has commanded, 'Let an omerful of it be kept throughout your generations, that they may see the bread that I fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you out of the land of Egypt.'"

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Hot Water

I Believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean.
G. K. Chesterton

A couple of weeks ago, I was trying to find an essay on cheese that G.K. Chesterton had written when I fell upon this quote. Because I have a relatively simply sense of humor, I thought leaving my mom a quote about keeping clean would be fun and I couldn't really find anything profound (in case you were concerned, there is no possible way for mom to take it personally…she keeps quite clean).

Being excited about the most obvious meaning of the quote, I shared it with my step-dad who brought a whole new level of understanding to the situation. The quote was about to closely reflect the direction of my life as I moved up to Western.

Though I agree that getting into difficult life circumstances keeps you where you ought to be, I'd like to add to the idea of it simply keeping you clean. This past two weeks, I have grown closer to God at the same time as I have learned to keep clean.

Learning my roommates, how to deal with 300 level classes and finding that applying for a job and being given an honesty test brings out the dishonesty in me have all been really big challenges for me. I feel like I've been living in a state of hot water-ed existence ever since I left G.K.'s wise words on the whiteboard in my bedroom turned Mom's office. I've found this week to bring me to a place of humility in how I see myself and my need for God's help and support in everything. It the same time that it has been far from fun at times, I am thankful to God for the time so far.

May you find yourself in hot water. My experience proves that it keeps you clean and brings you into the arms of God…if you want it to.

Isaiah 30:15

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home